District of Coldstream
BC Climate Action Community
The District of Coldstream is a carbon neutral municipality. The District measured total greenhouse gas emissions, reduced them as much as possible and offset the difference with Offsetters, a BC-based carbon management company. Offsetters' projects are high-quality projects that are verified and validated every year by a third-party. This is a requirement for claiming neutrality. Buying offsets prevents the equivalent amount of emissions from entering the atmosphere. The offset projects wouldn't have been able to take place without offset funding. The District is proud to take action against climate change and be a carbon neutral district.
As well as offsetting carbon emissions, the District also implemented reduction initiatives including:
- Development of a Civic Building Action Plan;
- Development of a Fuel Efficient Action Plan;
- Development of a Green Infrastructure Plan;
- Adopt the Solar Ready Initiative;
- Adopt a Tax Revitalization Program to support Sustainability Initiatives.